A Tribute to Schrute Beet Farm
Typically, when something strikes a funny bone on a comedy show, the writers then overdo it. So far, this hasn’t been the case on NBC’s The Office with Schrute Beet Farm, and Dwight Schrute’s cousin, Mose (played by Michael Schur who doubles as a writer on the show). The farm and the cousin only show up occasionally, and hilarity ensues.
That said, however, this Gunaxin reporter would not be disappointed if, after The Office has its run, they wanted to continue the Schrute Farms story in a spin-off ala Frasier from Cheers. With a good supporting cast, it could happen in an Addams Family meets Green Acres kind of way. There is already a fascinating history to explore concerning the Schrute lineage via random Dwight quotes:
- I grew up on a farm. I have seen animals having sex in every position imaginable. Goat on chicken. Chicken on goat. Couple of chickens doing a goat, couple of pigs watching.
- Rule 17: Don’t turn your back on bears, men you have wronged or the dominant Turkey during mating season. There are 40 rules all Schrute boys must learn before the age of 5. [sings] Learn your rules, you better learn your rules. If you don’t you’ll be eaten in your sleep!
- When my mother was pregnant with me they did an ultrasound and found she was having twins. When they did another ultrasound a few weeks later they discovered that I had reabsorbed the other fetus. Do I regret this? No. I believe his tissue has made me stronger. I now have the strength of a grown man and a little baby.
- The Schrutes consider children very valuable. In the olden-days, the women would bear many children so we would have enough laborers to work the fields. And if it was an especially cold winter and there weren’t enough grains or vegetables, they would eat the weakest of the brood…
- Yes, I have decided to shun Andy Bernard for the next three years. Which I’m looking forward to. It’s an Amish technique. It’s like slapping someone with silence. I was shunned from the age of four until my sixth birthday… for not saving the excess oil from a can of tuna.
Now, let’s pay tribute to the Schrute Beet Farm, which doubles as a bed and breakfast, and also Cousin Mose, who you can read more about on the Office Wiki.
An Intro to Schrute Farms
- Travel to Schrute Farms: Schrute Farms on TripAdvisor (It’s a joke, but look anyway)
- Cousin Mose Website
- Cousin Mose MySpace Page
- Andy Bernard Presents: A Tour of Schrute Farms
- Facebook: Schrute Farms Beets, Mose Schrute, Dwight K. Schrute
- A Brief History of the Schrute Family (Fanpop)
- Creating a Schrute Farms Logo
The Beet Farms Have Eyes
There are plenty of Schrute Beet Farm T-shirts and baby onesies are available on Amazon.
Unfortunately, Cousin Mose does not have his own bobblehead, though almost everyone else does.
Dwight and Mose playing ping-pong:
Co-written by Ben Sumner